Early registration is now open, with additional discounts for ISEMPH members.
Use your email address to sign into your account. To get a password, click "Forgot Password" even if you never had a password for your account before.
The Fifth Annual Meeting of the International Society for Evolution, Medicine, and Public Health will be at the University of Zurich, Switzerland August 13-16. Students, researchers, clinicians and others are all welcome.
ISEMPH 2019 is profoundly interdisciplinary meeting that emphasizes the multiple interfaces between evolutionary biology and human health in medicine, nursing, veterinary medicine, anthropology, evolutionary psychology, behavioral ecology and epidemiology. Students and clinicians at all stages of professional development are especially welcome. Only 300 seats are available, so register early. Cancellations before June 1 are eligible for a refund.
The Hosting Committee
is chaired by Frank Rühli
, Prof. Dr. Dr. med. (Professor of Evolutionary Medicine, University of Zurich, Switzerland), and Nicole Bender
, MD, PhD (University of Zurich, Switzerland).
The Program Committee
is chaired by Jacobus (Koos) Boomsma
, PhD (Chair) , Professor of Evolutionary Biology (University of Copenhagen, Denmark)
Confirmed Keynote Speakers
- Prof. Bernard J. Crespi, Simon Fraser University, Canada: How evolutionary biology can frame a unified theory for understanding human mental illness.
- Prof. Dario Valenzano, Max Planck Institute for Biology of Ageing, Germany: African killifishes shed light on the genomic basis of life history trait evolution in vertebrates.
- Prof. Kayla King, University of Oxford, UK: Protectors vs. killers: microbes within the host as drivers of pathogen evolution.
- Prof. Verena Schünemann, University of Zurich, Switzerland: Ancient DNA and pathogens: uncovering the past of human diseases
- Winners of the George C. Williams Prize and the Gilbert Omenn Prize will also give plenary talks
The mission of the International Society for Evolution, Medicine, and Public Health's is to foster communication among scientists, students, clinicians and public health professionals who use evolutionary insights to improve medical research and practice, and information on human health and disease to advance evolutionary biology. Previous meetings have been at Arizona State University, Duke University, Groningen, Netherlands (with ESEB), and Park City, Utah. The 2020 meeting will be at the University of Georgia, the 2021 meeting will be in Lisbon.
In addition to annual meetings, ISEMPH sponsors the Oxford University Press journal Evolution, Medicine, & Public Health, The Evolution and Medicine Review, and EvMedEd.
Topics covered in ISEMPH meetings include:
· Adaptation and host defenses
· Antibiotic resistance
· Cancer evolution
· Cardiovascular disease
· Chronic degenerative diseases
· Developmental plasticity
· Emerging diseases
· Epigenetic causes of disease
· Evolutionary arms races
· Evolutionary aspects of aging
· Evolutionary aspects of pharmaceuticals
· Evolutionary genetics
· Evolutionary psychology
· Gene-environment mismatch
· Health-related evolutionary trade-offs
· Hygiene and public health
· Life history theory
· Lifestyle diseases
· Obesity and diabetes
· Oral health
· Mental health and disorders
· Molecular and population genetics
· Pathogen evolution
· Personalized medicine
· Reproductive diseases and women's health
· Sleep disorders
· Stress response
· Veterinary medicine
· Viral evolution